Tuesday 14 May 2013

Family Food - Strawberry Drop Scones

I made a couple of wee discoveries this week.

 

  1. If you get to Morrisons early enough on a Monday morning - there are bargains to be had!
  2. My seven year-old self was a culinary genius.

I keep a folder of recipes in the kitchen "library" which contains an eclectic mixture of ingredients, like a lot of my own concoctions. It has loads of Her Majesty, Ma Maw's instructions for creating traditional stews, soups and cakes. There are scribbled PROPER curry and pakora recipes from my 2nd generation Pakistani mate's mum (with substantially reduced green chilli content). There's my Auntie Hannah's recipe for cornflake cookies; my Mother-Out-Law's hubby's Liverpudlian specialty - scouse (not yet attempted).

 

And then there's this.....

 

My Primary School cookery book.

The 4th page - Drop Scones. To most of you (who are undoubtedly wrong) this will mean "pancakes." Again, you are wrong. And since Great Auntie Beatrice passed away 15 years ago at the age of ninety-two, there's no way you can dispute the fact that the thick-batter cakes (which you may cook in a pan) are called anything but DROP SCONES.

And the other key element to my increasingly rambly blog post is that I bought a pack of almost mushy strawberries at the local snoopy-marche for 9 tiny pence! So here's what I did...


Strawberry Panc... I mean Drop Scones

Ingredients

2oz self-raising wholemeal flour

2oz plain flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

2oz unrefined golden caster sugar

Teaspoon (level) of cinnamon

1 egg

1oz margarine/butter

Splash of milk

Lots of practically foosty (ie over ripe) strawberries

  1. Sieve flours, cinnamon and baking powder (and stir in sugar) together in a bowl.
  2. Melt butter and about 6 or 7 chopped up strawberries in a jug.
  3. Blitz or mash.
  4. Chop up small another few strawberries.
  5. Mix it all together with an egg and enough milk to form a lumpy dropping consistency.
  6. Butter a large, heavy bottomed frying pan. Use a medium to low heat.
  7. Drop spoonfuls of batter mix with plenty space for them to expand.

9. When the bubbles appear on the surface, flip them over. They should be pink with golden crust. If they're black, chuck them and start again with a lower heat!

10. Once that side's golden, take them out and do another batch.

Tips: The cinnamon just enhances the strawberry flavour - you can't taste it as cinnamon at all! Use all self-raising if you prefer, I think it's too heavy if all wholemeal. Any sugar will do! These ingredients are just what I have in my bakery drawer.

Yes, I am still a culinary genius. If you disagree, take it up with Auntie Beatrice.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment